Friday 15 April 2011

LEE MOTTERSHEAD REPORTS FOR THE RACING POST TODAY FRIDAY 15 APRIL 2011

“FALLON TO APPEAL BAN THAT WILL COST HIM DEAR”

“Former champion set to miss Guineas, Chester and Ascot.

“KIEREN FALLON yesterday admitted he has little chance of winning a reprieve to ride Craven Stakes winner NATIVE KHAN in the Qipco 2,000 Guineas as he readied himself for another battle with racing officialdom following the ten-day suspension handed to him at Kempton late on Wednesday.(13 April 2011 Race 5. 8.00pm 1m3f (AW))

“FALLON will miss both Newmarket’s Guineas, the prestigious Chester May meeting and Ascot’s Sagaro Stakes fixture if unsuccessful in an appeal against a suspension handed out after a Kempton contest worth just £1,748.31 to the winner.

“ The former champion was given the ban, which runs from April 27 to May 6, after being judged guilty of not riding out to the finish on the James Fanshawe trained SUKHOTHAI, an offence the Kempton stewards decided had prevented the 11-1 handicapper from holding off the fast finishing and wide –running WATERED SILK for second.

“The ten-day punishment was the minimum that could be handed to FALLON who will thus need to be cleared of all responsibility in order to win an appeal.

“I’m not going to lie down without a fight, , but I think I’m fighting a loosing battle, said FALLON . The statistics are not in my favour. You don’t win on appeal, but that doesn’t mean I won’t appeal.”

“Assessing the Kempton ride, FALLON, awaiting guidance from the Professional Jockeys’ Association chief executive KEVIN DARLEY, said: ‘I thought I rode to the line so I was surprised to be called in. The horse was getting tired and had no more to give. I don’t think I did anything wrong. The second always had me and I was the third best, which is the most frustrating thing. It didn’t make any difference to the result.

“I didn’t stop riding. I worked from behind and I used my body rather than ride their heads off, especially when they’re trying to stop. It’s not really a blow as I’m still here and I’m not injured, but it’s not what you want to happen.

“FALLON, who must lodge his appeal no later than today, added ‘It’s a fine line and sometimes you hope they would use their discretion. Does the penalty fit the crime? I’m missing the Guineas, the May meeting at Chester and a day at Ascot, all because of a little race worth £1,700. That’s a lot to miss if I made a mistake, which I don’t think I did.”


J Margaret Clarke comment for Turfcall
A photograph accompanied this report (Page 3) taken by Edward Whitaker (Racingpost .com/photos) Showing the grey three year old filly SUKHOTHAI challenging to the line with her head stretched right out giving her all with an expression on her face that she could give no more and was close to exhaustion.

THIS ONE PHOTOGRAPH ALONE SHOULD PROVE WITHOUT ANY SHADOW OF A DOUBT THAT ALL FALLON TOLD THE STEWARDS WAS TRUE, FALLON NEED NOT SAY ONE WORD TO DEFEND THE WAY THAT HE RODE SUKHOTHAI BECAUSE THIS ONE PHOTOGRAPH SAYS IT ALL.


At Aintree last Saturday we saw BALLIBRIGGS partnered by JASON MAGUIRE win the Grand National. The acting stewards at that meeting need to thank their lucky stars that BALLYBRIGGS did not drop dead after crossing the winning line, it was a miracle that he was helped so quickly by having buckets and buckets of water chucked over him, saving his life. Jason Maguire who partnered BALLYBRIGGS received a five day excessive use of the whip ban.

It looked really bad to see the winning jockey walking in by himself, without his horse..

This 2011 Grand National threw up all sorts of contentious issues that need sorting by Bloodhorse Literate people, as a matter of dire urgency. No wonder Clare Balding was close to tears.

The BHA a harsh and cruel authority not fit for purpose.


END

No comments:

Post a Comment